Re: [exim-dev] Embedding Python

Author: Todd Lyons
To: Jeremy Harris, exim-dev, Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Embedding Python
On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Todd Lyons <tlyons@???> wrote:
> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Phil Pennock <pdp@???> wrote:
>>
>> Todd should just be able to use PyList_Insert() to modify sys.path,
>> after importing sys. Note that this has to happen after the interpreter
>> is loaded, since Py_GetPath() is used to provide the default value.
>
> I've been experimenting with this. So far I cannot get path
> manipulation to work using the list methods. I can only get it to
> work using string methods.

Figured out the problem with using the list method for path
manipulation. My latest code is at:
http://git.exim.org/users/tlyons/exim.git

So far, the code can do the following:
1. If python script alone is specified, exim attempts to load it from
python system paths.
2. If full path to python script is specified, it splits the path and
adds it to the system paths, then attempts to load it.
3. Expansion can call a function (ignores args)
4. Expansion can handle a returned string response.
5. Expansion can detect a returned {int,long_int,float}, but not
really do anything with it.

The following test code:
def string_output():
        # Just a simple string being returned
        return "Just a simple string"

def whole_number_output():
        # Just a simple number being returned
        return 5

def decimal_number_output():
        # A decimal number being returned
        return 8.8382912

def negative_number_output():
        return -800

Produces this output:
[exim-build@tlyons ~/projects/exim/src (master_volatile_python)]$
build-Linux-i386/exim -be '${python{negative_number_output}}'
Integer returned
[exim-build@tlyons ~/projects/exim/src (master_volatile_python)]$
build-Linux-i386/exim -be '${python{decimal_number_output}}'
Float returned
[exim-build@tlyons ~/projects/exim/src (master_volatile_python)]$
build-Linux-i386/exim -be '${python{whole_number_output}}'
Integer returned
[exim-build@tlyons ~/projects/exim/src (master_volatile_python)]$
build-Linux-i386/exim -be '${python{string_output}}'
Just a simple string