Re: [exim] missing log entries

Author: Phil Pennock
To: ci
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] missing log entries
On 2013-04-24 at 08:12 +0200, ci@??? wrote:
> we are running an exim4 mail server (debian squeeze) release 4.72.
>
> exim -bV says:
>
> Exim version 4.72 #1 built 25-Oct-2012 18:35:58
> Copyright (c) University of Cambridge, 1995 - 2007
> Berkeley DB: Berkeley DB 4.8.30: (April 9, 2010)
> Support for: crypteq iconv() IPv6 PAM Perl Expand_dlfunc GnuTLS
> move_frozen_messages Content_Scanning DKIM Old_Demime
> Lookups: lsearch wildlsearch nwildlsearch iplsearch cdb dbm dbmnz
> dnsdb dsearch ldap ldapdn ldapm mysql nis nis0 passwd pgsql sqlite
> Authenticators: cram_md5 cyrus_sasl dovecot plaintext spa
> Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral iplookup manualroute queryprogram redirect
> Transports: appendfile/maildir/mailstore/mbx autoreply lmtp pipe smtp

> To debug mail delivery I examined mainlog. Problem is that I cannot
> see the originating host. There are no log entries containing "<=":
>
> Where is the problem? How can I fix that?

I think you'll need to turn up debugging and send email manually
through, to track down what's happening.

I can't give more help than that as I don't really know what code is
running. Exim 4.72 was just *before* some major overhauls for security,
in 4.73, and Debian backported a lot of that. Separately, in 4.73 there
_was_ an issue where some deliveries went unlogged, fixed in 4.74
(PP/06). That glitch is the only time I know of where we have failed to
log actions taken.

I don't recall any incidents where reception has failed to be logged.

My only suggestion, other than tracing through with debugging turned on,
is to try squeeze-backports and a newer version of Exim to see if the
problem is still there.

Unfortunately, packages.debian.org appears to be down right now, so I
can't check.

-Phil