Re: [exim-dev] PDF spec is outdated?

Góra strony
Autor: Phil Pennock
Dla: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-dev
Temat: Re: [exim-dev] PDF spec is outdated?
On 2013-04-19 at 09:30 +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> Was wondering about our mechanisms for distributing docs. It makes
> sense to have a tarball of the HTML in the "ftp" area (quoted, because I
> suspect most distribution is other than by ftp nowadays) - as the HTML
> is a pile of small files all connected. PDFs, and for that matter ebook
> versions etc, are single files (OK, spec & filter) and reasonably
> compressed to start with. Would we do better to just unpack them.
> In that case the website links become links direct to the distribution
> area PDFs.

I think the reason for the compression of single files is that it was
set up when PostScript was still dominant. With PDF, I agree that it
makes much less sense.

epub files are zip files with a different extension and a common file
hierarchy, so if they can be compressed better it means we're using a
bad zip compressor. I'm definitely in favour of not having to .bz2/.gz
the epubs.

> Maybe we would need to change directory structure a little - a directory
> per version with all the files in rather than flat, although we prune
> the online versions into an old directory every so often anyhow... so
> maybe this doesn't need doing.
>
> Hopefully that makes things simpler rather than more complex (OK, the
> scripting needs fixing, but it needs fixing now).
>
> Comments?

With links to the files from the web area, we stop being able to move
old versions into sub-directories without breaking the links from the
old versions of the files, so we're better off having something like:

eximdoc/pdf/spec-4.80.pdf
eximdoc/pdf/spec-4.80.1.pdf
eximdoc/pdf/spec-current.pdf -> spec-4.80.1.pdf

eximdoc/epub/spec-4.80.epub
eximdoc/epub/spec-4.80.1.epub
eximdoc/epub/spec-current.epub -> spec-4.80.1.epub

For the source files, it makes sense to move old versions aside so that
those who want to have infrastructure that locks in a particular version
are responsible for providing access to it and _we_ can move versions
with security holes into old/ ASAP and break direct download links.

For documentation, absent a developer machine compromise which results
in the production of a trojanned document with an exploit in it, which
should be handled as an exception case for clean-up, we don't want this
and we should just make sure that a versioned link is good for all time.

Something else to consider, far less urgent, is metadata in HTTP
that search engines would detect that and use as input, similarly to how
canonical links in web-pages help de-dup, and ensure that folks who
search for "exim spec.pdf" will have link ranking pointing them to the
latest, with a version number, updating fairly promptly without losing
ranking.

Eg:
curl -I http://people.spodhuis.org/phil.pennock/software/sieve-connect-0.85.tar.bz2
(and old versions 0.81, 0.83, 0.84 exist for comparing/contrasting).

-Phil