Re: [exim-dev] header syntax check: quoted printable and com…

Góra strony
Autor: Heiko Schlittermann
Dla: exim-dev
Temat: Re: [exim-dev] header syntax check: quoted printable and comma in comments
Hello,

Heiko Schlittermann <hs@???> (Mo 08 Apr 2013 10:33:25 CEST):

> we got problems with the header syntax check:
>
> failed: To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22H=E4le,_Anita=22?= <ahaele@???>
> passed: To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22H=E4le=2C_Anita=22?= <ahaele@???>

> Is there some document describing the correct parsing of such header
> lines? In RFC5322 (internet message format) and RFC 2045 (MIME
> extensions) I do not find anything that could point me to some answer.
>
> Is it Exims fault? Should/could Exim be more liberal? Or is it the fault
> of the MUA generating the failing line?

My co-worker got it: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2047#section-5,
subsection (3):

(3) As a replacement for a 'word' entity within a 'phrase', for example,
    one that precedes an address in a From, To, or Cc header.  The ABNF
    definition for 'phrase' from RFC 822 thus becomes:

    phrase = 1*( encoded-word / word )

    In this case the set of characters that may be used in a "Q"-encoded
    'encoded-word' is restricted to: <upper and lower case ASCII
    letters, decimal digits, "!", "*", "+", "-", "/", "=", and "_"
    (underscore, ASCII 95.)>.  An 'encoded-word' that appears within a
    'phrase' MUST be separated from any adjacent 'word', 'text' or
    'special' by 'linear-white-space'.

Thus it "solved", Exim is correct, and it's the fault of the sending
MTA. (Un)fortunately this incorrect headers are generated only if two
conditions meet: unprintable character, and a comma in the address phrase.

In case anybody is interested and for the records - the information about originating MTA:

(Does anybody know where to report this bug?)

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome --------------- key ID: 7CBF764A -
 gnupg fingerprint: 9288 F17D BBF9 9625 5ABC  285C 26A9 687E 7CBF 764A -
(gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B)-