Re: [exim] disable logging for a specific acl rule only

Author: Todd Lyons
To: other
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] disable logging for a specific acl rule only
On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 4:13 AM, <other@???> wrote:

> I cant quite get my head around this but this is what I basically want to
> do, I want to have an ACL rule that drops if a sender is in a list and have
> it __NOT__ log it in the rejectlog. The reason for this is that I have a
> What do I need to add to the below example rule entry to stop it from
> logging when it is matched?
>
> drop    senders = /usr/local/etc/pests.lst
>         message = Go away spammer!

> The above ACL works, however it logs.. :(

>From Chapter 42 on ACL's:

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-access_control_lists.html?#SECTACLmodi

log_reject_target = <log name list>

    This modifier makes it possible to specify which logs are used for
messages about ACL rejections. Its argument is a colon-separated list
of words that can be “main”, “reject”, or “panic”. The default is
main:reject. The list may be empty, in which case a rejection is not
logged at all. For example, this ACL fragment writes no logging
information when access is denied:

    deny <some conditions>
         log_reject_target =

    This modifier can be used in SMTP and non-SMTP ACLs. It applies to
both permanent and temporary rejections. Its effect lasts for the rest
of the current ACL.

> I have the exim handbook (hard copy, 2nd edition), but I could not find what
> I was looking for as the book is very long. Any hints? I don't want to
> disable logging globally, just this one case.

Do keep thinking about things and experimenting. It gets much easier
once you become familiar with the important parts of the manual, which
for me are Chapters 11, 15, 24, and 42 :-) I can usually find what I
want, or a reference to what I want from one of those chapters.

...Todd