Re: [exim] Force routing by adding custom header

Góra strony
Autor: Chris Knadle
Dla: exim-users
Temat: Re: [exim] Force routing by adding custom header
On Wednesday, February 06, 2013 15:50:48, plot.lost wrote:
> On 06/02/2013 20:24, Jeremy Harris wrote:
> > On 02/06/2013 06:54 PM, plot.lost wrote:
> >> Thanks for the info. Is there any way to do this without having to
> >> update any config files (even ones like dbm files) - would like to be
> >> able to have the sending application be able to add new routes as
> >> needed, and it won't be able to make config changes etc.
> >
> > You're asking a bit much here. The config and the db file is all
> > there is to tell
> > exim what to do. What else would there be?
> >
> > Why don't you want to update any files?
>
> The application generating the messages can't physically update the
> files - hence trying to see if there was a way of directly using
> information provided in a custom header to specify the route.

This sounds way too much like UUCP mail routing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUCP#UUCP_for_mail_routing

And oddly enough I see that a uucp package still exists in the Debian tree,
and that the package recommends exim4. I've never actually used UUCP so I
can't comment on the details.

> The exim instance is running on a server in the dmz to handle outbound
> emails. The application is running on a server on a separate internal
> network. It cannot read/write any files held on any servers in the dmz,
> servers in the dmz cannot read/write any files held on the internal
> systems. (network security rules prohibit that, and cannot be changed).
> The application server can communicate with the exim system using SMTP
> only.

The other thing to investigate is what Exim variables exist and at what
/time/ they exist during the SMTP session. In this case you're looking for a
variable that can be picked up during the DATA portion of the SMTP session,
and which still exists after the email has been accepted.

But I also need to warn you that routing based on the contents of an email
sounds like something you want to avoid if all possible, because it sounds
like something that could be abused if the header were discovered. As such
you probably should look into putting in an ACL in the DATA section to limit
who is allowed to use this custom routing.

-- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@???