Re: [exim] Possible setup EXIM to use mbox

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Mike Kranidis / My Domain
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Possible setup EXIM to use mbox
On 2013-01-31 at 14:53 +0200, Mike Kranidis / My Domain wrote:
> following your suggestion I gave exim -bV and follows the result.
> What do you think, I have mbox in this case (compilation) or not?

Yes.

Be careful: there is "mbox" and "mbx"; mbx is unusual and needs to be
enabled, mbox is _normal_. You have appendfile, you have mbox. It's
the classic Unix storage format for emails in a flat file.

The default configuration file supplied with Exim uses mbox for
delivery.

FreeBSD does not provide a different configure file. Take a look at
/usr/local/etc/exim/configure (your config file) and
/usr/local/etc/exim/configure.default (almost the stock configure file,
but adjusted a little by the Ports system, potentially, with sed
substitutions).

So if you're using Maildir now, someone changed the default Exim
configuration to add that. Undo the change and you'll be good.

Take a look at:
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-the_appendfile_transport.html

take the Transport used for local deliveries; comment out the
"directory" and the "maildir_format", restore the "file =" line with a
reasonable value, make sure there are no other *_format values, and see
if the "mode" option makes sense.

-Phil