Re: [exim-dev] SMTP PRDR; Exim 4.82

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Jeremy Harris
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] SMTP PRDR; Exim 4.82
On 2013-01-25 at 11:59 +0000, Jeremy Harris wrote:
> There's a slight conceptual issue in that the order for the ACLs being
> run would not match the order of the SMTP protocol-visible actions.

How so? The DATA ACL is triggered by the "." sent by the client.
Earlier, there's a pre-data immediately after the DATA command itself.

> I have some OCSP stuff waiting in the wings it'd be nice to also get
> into the next release.

Is it on a publicly visible branch?

> What's the general policy on promoting features from Experimental? I
> assume minimum one release, plus a cheerleader?

I'm not aware of a policy. I think it boils down to "we can commit to
support this going forward, without breaking the API" and "we've seen
evidence that people use it, so it's worth supporting".

> Are there any defaults we ought to change - common security settings
> etc?

We should generally try to make sure that any tunable exists as a
tunable one release before we change the default, so that admins can
forcibly set the value before a binary upgrade and preserve behaviour.
I'm not aware of any other changes.

> How do we build and test on all the target architectures?

We build release candidates and offer them for people to test and report
on. Architectures where people report back on RCs are first-class
supported for that release, which means we actively care if a bug comes
up after release and will cut a new release soon for their issues.
Other platforms will have to maintain local patches until we get around
to a new release on a normal timescale.

https://github.com/Exim/exim/wiki/EximReleasePolicy

See: "Release Candidates & Buggy Releases"

I've some vague ideas that it would be nice to get a framework for
setting up the test rig automatically and get this into EC2 so anyone
willing to pay a couple of bucks can run the test suite on platforms
supported there. I've not had time to do this, or much else with Exim.

-Phil