Re: [exim-dev] SMTP PRDR; Exim 4.82

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] SMTP PRDR; Exim 4.82
On 25/01/13 11:10, Phil Pennock wrote:
> Can we run the PRDR ACLs _after_ the DATA ACL, with the DATA ACL having
> access to a variable which indicates that PRDR is in use (so folks can
> choose to not reject immediately)?
>
> I'm thinking that virus and spam scanning should happen _once_, first,
> and then per-customer decisions are made based upon preference
> information, with the resulting scores, so that some reject, some route
> to a spam mailbox server, some just accept, etc.
>
> That's the normal use-case, I think, so we should have a singleton scan
> available to set $acl_m_* variables which can be used for decisions in
> the PRDR ACLs.
>
> Does this make sense? Or am I being an ignorant bikeshed painter?

PRDR looks quite interesting but I'm afraid I'm a little out of touch.

On your ordering request I would argue that the current order of PRDR
then DATA is a better order.

The spam scanning result is cached meaning that if you called it with
the same options, it would only be run once. Spam scanning can be
provided different options such a username to source the configuration
from when called which would then allow different settings/profiles to
be run for different users/groups.

In short, the existing ordering can run the virus/spam scanning only
once, or it can be made to run more than once. If the order is reversed,
the multiple run ability is lost.

Ted.