Re: [exim] Moving Exim from Solaris to Linux

Author: Mark Goodge
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Moving Exim from Solaris to Linux
On 01/10/2012 13:58, Graham Butler wrote:
> We are currently looking at replacing our Solaris boxes with a
> flavour of Linux to run Exim with a focus on Red Hat and Ubuntu. I am
> trying to collect some evidence to which OS is being used to run EXIM
> and why, before we make a decision. Could you please respond by
> sending me, or the list, information on which OS you are using to run
> EXIM and any information on why your decided to run it on that
> particular platform.

We use Debian for most of our stuff, including the mail servers. There's
no particular reason for that apart from the fact that those of us whose
job it is to maintain the systems and write code for them all like
Debian. As for why we like Debian, that's mainly because it's
well-established and has a very large user base, meaning that there's a
lot of crowd-sourced documentation and well-maintained distributions of
all major software packages (including Exim).

That's not to say that other distros might not be better for some
circumstances. CentOS is very stable and has a very slow release cycle,
which may be valuable in uptime-sensitive production environments.
Ubuntu is precisely the opposite: a rapid release cycle means that you
always have access to the latest builds of pretty much everything you
need. RedHat comes with commercial support, which matters to some users.
But, overall, I'd say that the only reason for picking something other
than Debian is if you know that you need something other than Debian.
And if you don't know that you need something other than Debian, then
your best choice is Debian.

Mark
--
Sent from my Turing-Flowers Colossus