[exim] Exim4 ldap lookups and SASL-GSSAPI authentication

Author: felix
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Exim4 ldap lookups and SASL-GSSAPI authentication
Hi,

is it SASL-GSSAPI auth possible for Exim4 ldap lookups?

Thanks in advance.

------------------

P.D. Some background and details:

I recently set up Exim4 to get some variables from an LDAP server.
It works but, since the content of those variables is sensitive,
I have created an LDAP ACL such that only <right_ldap_identity> can
read the <LDAP node> and so the variables in question.

That <right_ldap_identity> is the result of making a successful SASL-GSSAPI
authentication against ldap server by using a certain Kerberos principal,
<right_principal>.

So, during authentication, <right_principal> is mapped to
<right_ldap_identity> which is, finally, allowed to read <LDAP node>
according to our shine and new ACL.

- But manual exim4 ldap lookups tests do not work:

    KRB5CCNAME=/tmp/<tickets_for_right_principal> \
    su vmail -m                                   \
             -c " /usr/sbin/exim4 -be ${lookup ldapm{ <ldap_query> }}' "

    ... so the ticket cache for <right_principal>       (line 1)
        can be read by processes under vmail unix user  (line 2)
        so this way exim4 makes <ldap_query>            (line 3)

    But does not work.

- Tests using "ldapsearch" tool instead of exim4 are successful:

    KRB5CCNAME=/tmp/<tickets_for_right_principal> \
    su vmail -m                                   \
             -c " ldapsearch -b '<ldap_query>'    "     <-------

    It works.

Of course, exim4 test works if I delete the ACL. Therefore,
and given the successful ldapsearch test, I think that exim4
is not using SASL-GSSAPI. It should because it is linked against
libldap, which is configured in /etc/ldap/ldap.conf, which
make SASL-GSSAPI the default authentication mechanism thanks to
a line containing: "SASL_MECH GSSAPI" statement.

 Exim4             4.72
 OpenLDAP's slapd  2.4.23
 MIT Kerberos      1.8.3
 Debian            6