Re: [exim] Using more Routes in RoundRobin to send E-Mails

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: Exim Users ML
Subject: Re: [exim] Using more Routes in RoundRobin to send E-Mails
On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 15:57 +0200, Luca Bertoncello wrote:
> Of course, I can define 4 routes with SmartHost for every Server, but how can I
> say Exim to use them in RoundRobin (and, if a Server is dead, to ignore it)?

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch20.html

As I understand it, if a host is unreachable the next host in the
route_list will be tried until the message is accepted.

Route lists are parsed in order unless hosts_randomize is set, in which
case they are parsed randomly.

To do strict round robin you should use route_data instead of
route_list, and do a dynamic lookup which always returns items in a
predictable sequencing order. There are myriad ways to achieve that.

For example, you could have a file with host lists inside and look them
up using whether or not the current clock second is even or odd (using
$tod_epoch to get the time).

Graeme