Re: [exim] Bulk Outbound Performance

Author: Lorens Kockum
To: Ron White
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Bulk Outbound Performance
On Sun, Sep 02, 2012 at 10:40:12AM +0100, Ron White wrote:
> I have a client that currently uses and ESP who have an astounding
> throughput of up to a million messages per hour. This brought up a
> discussion about high-performance MTAs and tuning and the general
> comments I'm hearing are that things like Exim, Sendmail & Postfix are
> just not man enough for such a task and the absolute best you could
> expect from any of them is about 100k messages per hour.

Well, an Email Service Provider could very well have ten or more
servers! If I were earning money for getting mail out quickly,
putting more servers on the job would definitely be a high
priority!

On the other hand, it does stand to reason that any
general-purpose mailer can be surpassed by an equally
well-written program designed to deliver a single message to
a pre-compiled list of addresses, just ticking off successful
deliveries.