Re: [exim] Auto response and Bounces

Author: Todd Lyons
To: Devine, Steven (sd)
CC: Exim ‎[exim-users@exim.org]‎
Subject: Re: [exim] Auto response and Bounces
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 5:36 AM, Devine, Steven (sd) <sd@???> wrote:

> Exim accepts the message and a Message ID is issued. I see this in the logs:
>
> exigrep 1T7Pjr-00020Q-A4 /var/log/exim/mainlog
> 2012-08-31 07:50:32 1T7Pjr-00020Q-A4 <= xxxx@??? H=localhost () [127.0.0.1] P=smtp S=1083
> 2012-08-31 07:50:32 1T7Pjr-00020Q-A4 => yyyy <yyyy@???> R=vacation_expired_director_no_message T=vacation_expired_autoreply_nomessage
> 2012-08-31 07:50:32 1T7Pjr-00020Q-A4 Completed

Right. The "vacation_expired_autoreply_nomessage" transport only
generates an auto-response and doesn't actually handle the delivery of
the message to a local mail store.

> The incoming message can't be delivered because the account is no longer there, so I'm guessing that the message just gets dropped on the floor. True?
> Am I violating any RFC requirements by doing this? The sender will get a reply telling them that the account is expired and no longer functional, but it seems kinda misleading to NOT return the message to the sender as undelivered.

You have two options IMHO:
1. Bounce to sender: Add an "unseen" to the router that sends it to
the autoresponse transport. This will cause it to continue processing
the email after it sends the autoresponse, which will then generate
the bounce message to the sender.
2. Archive it: Add an "unseen" to the router that sends it to the
autoresponse transport. This will cause it to continue processing the
email after it sends the autoresponse. Add a new router that sends it
to a transport that will deliver it locally so no bounce is generated.

...Todd