Re: [exim] Auto response and Bounces

Author: Devine, Steven (sd)
CC: Exim ‎[exim-users@exim.org]‎
Subject: Re: [exim] Auto response and Bounces
Further testing of this configuration has lead me to another question. By removing the line "verify_only" the bounce is no longer generated, and the message is not returned to the sender. This actually is the desired behaviour ( by Sr. Management ), however I am perplexed as to what exactly happens to the message from the sender.

Exim accepts the message and a Message ID is issued. I see this in the logs:

exigrep 1T7Pjr-00020Q-A4 /var/log/exim/mainlog
2012-08-31 07:50:32 1T7Pjr-00020Q-A4 <= xxxx@??? H=localhost () [127.0.0.1] P=smtp S=1083
2012-08-31 07:50:32 1T7Pjr-00020Q-A4 => yyyy <yyyy@???> R=vacation_expired_director_no_message T=vacation_expired_autoreply_nomessage
2012-08-31 07:50:32 1T7Pjr-00020Q-A4 Completed

HERE is log of the return message notifying the user that the account is expired.

2012-08-31 07:50:32 1T7Pk8-00020V-A2 <= <> R=1T7Pjr-00020Q-A4 U=courier P=local S=515
2012-08-31 07:50:32 1T7Pk8-00020V-A2 => xxxxxx@??? R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp H=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [209.85.225.27] X=TLSv1:ECDHE-RSA-RC4-SHA:128
2012-08-31 07:50:32 1T7Pk8-00020V-A2 Completed

The incoming message can't be delivered because the account is no longer there, so I'm guessing that the message just gets dropped on the floor. True?
Am I violating any RFC requirements by doing this? The sender will get a reply telling them that the account is expired and no longer functional, but it seems kinda misleading to NOT return the message to the sender as undelivered.
/sd

Steve Devine
Collaborative Systems & Support
Information Technology Services