[exim] Auto response and Bounces

Author: Devine, Steven (sd)
To: Exim ‎[exim-users@exim.org]‎
Subject: [exim] Auto response and Bounces
We are in the process of expiring accounts and Sr. Management would like it if we could return a autoreply (custom per user like a vacation message) to the sender.
I have been able to get this to work by using this:

[in the routers section:]
vacation_expired_director:
driver = accept
verify_only
condition = ${lookup mysql {MYSQL_EXPIRED}{1}}
condition = ${lookup mysql {MYSQL_VACATION_YES}{$value}}
transport = vacation_expired_autoreply

[in the transports section]
vacation_expired_autoreply:
driver = autoreply
to = ${sender_address}
from = "${local_part}@${domain}"
log = /var/log/exim/exim-expired_vacation.log
once ="/nq/cache/login/vacation/$local_part-vacation.db"
once_repeat = 7d
subject = ${rfc2047:"Re: $h_Subject: from ${local_part}@${domain}"}
text= ${lookup mysql {MYSQL_VACATION}{$value}}

So this actually works but it triggers a bounce since the account is marked as expired in the SQL DB. The sender gets the reply and the bounce.
Management would like the bounce to not happen. I am kinda thinking that there is no way around it.
I think this is due to my setting driver = accept in the routers section but I can't get this to work without that line.

Any ideas?
Thanks
/sd

Steve Devine