Re: [exim-dev] Git, Github, git-exim command

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Git, Github, git-exim command
On 2012-07-20 at 10:40 +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> I do like github. I am a little concerned that it has become quite such
> a single centre for project development across a huge series of
> projects, but at least with git it is very hard to make an ownership
> grab on the repositories. And they do a damn good job.

I agree wholeheartedly on each point. I may have grumbles about the
current status of features in development, but those are generally
good-natured. (Mostly falling out of how wiki and main repo are tied
together, limitations of the wiki, inability to use online preview wiki
tools in a main repo, and issues around the tied notifications for
both).

GitHub is decent, and the lack of lock-in for the code itself is
excellent; I'd want to explore carefully issues around migration before
starting to use their issue-tracker. Everything else that comes
immediately to mind is fine.

> The wiki on github was intended to be experimental - its another chunk
> of infrastructure than needs maintaining and punting that to github
> would be another thing that doesn't need our software maintenance, which
> might allow more time for content maintenance... Really the wiki needs
> some serious gardening. And is there something better for FAQ maintenance?

Compared to a wiki? Not in my experience. Authenticated wikis with
audit trails, and someone else managing spammer tracking, are excellent.

We have the Pages stuff redirecting exim.github.com to the wiki. We
could use the custom domain support to have wiki.exim.org be accepted as
equivalent to exim.github.com, but the content would still end up
redirected. Ideally though, there would be some way to have the content
a visitor ends up seeing be a wiki page with wiki.exim.org still the
hostname, so that we at least have a chance to set up redirections if we
move again and need to repoint.

> Phil Pennock wrote:
> > Do we want to explore having a cron-job auto-sync content from tahini to
> > GitHub, or a post-receive-hook or the like on tahini to auto-push to
> > GitHub?
>
> We have cron jobs operating on the tahini git repo already - so adding
> (bidrectional?) sync to those would be pretty easy.

Sounds good to me; I have no firm preference on robot user account (they
explicitly mention that they're happy with this, despite ToS) vs
organisational API key or whatever the alternative is.

We could also set up an @EximCommits Twitter account and then have
GitHub autopush to that, using their extensive WebHooks integration
repertoire. (I've not created that account, am not going to be online
(much?) this weekend).

-Phil