Re: [exim-dev] Git, Github, git-exim command

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Git, Github, git-exim command

Phil Pennock wrote:
> So we have this GitHub account for Exim. I didn't set it up, but I
> think I'm the only one pushing changes to it.

I also push to it

> I think GitHub is valuable: it provides decent fork/pull-request tools,
> is familiar to a broader audience than our usual users, makes the code
> more visible and gives us a managed infrastructure resilient to single
> machine failures for making the code available, where tahini is just a
> single box.

I do like github. I am a little concerned that it has become quite such
a single centre for project development across a huge series of
projects, but at least with git it is very hard to make an ownership
grab on the repositories. And they do a damn good job.

> Not much has happened with the wiki, I was the one who got in Nigel's
> way by creating fresh content there; perhaps we should blow that away
> and programmatically migrate wiki.exim.org content?

The wiki on github was intended to be experimental - its another chunk
of infrastructure than needs maintaining and punting that to github
would be another thing that doesn't need our software maintenance, which
might allow more time for content maintenance... Really the wiki needs
some serious gardening. And is there something better for FAQ maintenance?

> Do we want to explore having a cron-job auto-sync content from tahini to
> GitHub, or a post-receive-hook or the like on tahini to auto-push to
> GitHub?

We have cron jobs operating on the tahini git repo already - so adding
(bidrectional?) sync to those would be pretty easy.

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham ------------------------------ nigel@??? ]
[                 Ellipsis Intangible Technologies                  ]