Re: [exim] SSD Drives

Author: Gót András
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SSD Drives
On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 10:50:42 -0700, Jeff Breidenbach wrote:
> It's too early to tell for sure, but we've had good luck with the
> Samsung 830 on a busy system that includes an MTA.
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gossip@jab.org/msg01425.html
>
> -Jeff

Hi,

We also have good luck with Samsung 830 ones (512GB in RAID1) but
they're not under a mailserver. I'd recommend to use RAID1+0 or 5+0
config to spread out the writes and it's also give you a speed bump.
Also note that these drives will really shine on SATA 6G connections,
but of course the much smaller latency and greater sequential IO
capability compared to a HDD will show on SATA 3G or at even SATA 1.5G
connections also.

From the management point of view you'll want to check the "Wear
leveling count" or the #177 smart attribute. This shows how many P/E
cycles has been done by the drive. It's said that these consumer drives
are between 3k-5k cycles, but there are also reports about more, so I
think that's the worst case. Anyway spare(s) should be kept on the shelf
as usual. :)

Regards,
Andras