Re: [exim] errors_to

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] errors_to
Klaus Ethgen wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I have a small problem with errors_to. I have to send errors for several
> mails to a special address. That work fine using the errors_to setting.
> But the errors_to also set the envelope-from to the respective address.
> That must not happens at all. The envelope-from must be the original
> one.
>
> I tried to set address_data to $sender_address in the router as advised
> and use that for return_path in transport but that does not work.
>
> Is there any way to enforce sending errors on that host to a different
> person than to the envelope sender without modifying it?
>
> Regards
>     Klaus

I may be dense (again) but that appears to be two different needs?

$envelope_from handling/re-writing/NOT - for an edge-case ONLY,
..and choice of report destination?

All CAN be handled however you need them to be.

If the destination is not [the | a] sysadmin, rewrite control rules may
be in order.

As our errors were few, and seldom mysterious, we found it simpler to
justify - or not - a look at logs and the 'original' - archived with an
'unseen' router if/as/when appropriate.

YMMV

Bill
--