Re: [exim] CAVEAT: Exim Specification chapter numbers moved

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Jeremy Harris
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] CAVEAT: Exim Specification chapter numbers moved
On 2012-05-31 at 23:21 +0100, Jeremy Harris wrote:
> On 2012-05-31 11:36, Phil Pennock wrote:
> > I mention this in case anyone providing help or support for their users,
> > or here on exim-users, has templated responses which reference the Spec
> > by chapter numbers.
>
> It's made the Google-provided "search docs" out-of-date, too.

The crawlers of various search engines will have seen how often we
normally update and will have adapted their crawl interval to suit.

If we have canonical URLs specified in the content, pointing to the
version-number'd URLs, that might help in future; Mike added the big
warning banners and pop-up boxes for when the version viewed is not the
current version, so pointing at old ones might help.

The only way to "fix" this solidly is to not have site search depend
upon a system outside our control, which means investing time in setting
up lucene or somesuch and getting it all running; it adds to the burden
on the hosting server, increases the attack surface and is more to
maintain. For a commercial product with staff, all of that can be
accepted as the cost of control and presenting a professional interface.

For us, unless someone has a proposal for hosting the search with folks
who deal with it professionally and can trivially keep it up-to-date,
for now we're probably better off sticking with an external search
provider. Although with Google starting to charge money for more and
more aspects of their services (maps API, ranking in some search
products) we should probably poke at making sure that if we want to
switch to Bing, it's a trivial switch.

-Phil