Re: [exim] Exim4, Authentication and Sender, Reurn-Path rew…

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim4, Authentication and Sender, Reurn-Path rewriting (exim-4.63-10.el5)
Laurent Rahuel wrote:

> Le 31 mai 2012 à 21:24, Todd Lyons a écrit :
>
>> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Laurent Rahuel
>> <laurent.rahuel@???> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I know this has been asked many times but none of my googling requests gave
>>> a suitable answer.
>>> I wan't to get rid of Return-Path and Sender rewriting when an email is send
>>> via an authenticated connexion.
>>
>> I guess I don't understand the goal. Why do you want to get rid of
>> any auditing information that could be used to track abused accounts?
>> What you are asking for is the ability to change the values that a
>> mail server would normally insert in the headers for abuse tracking to
>> something that can be spoofed. What's the use case? What am I not
>> understanding?
>>
>> ...Todd
>> --
>> Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a
>> violent psychopath who knows where you live. -- Martin Golding
>
> I guess you could understand that someone setting up an smtp server with auth and tls for security reasons would search for user login not to be displayed in each email.
> I guess that's why /etc/aliases exists.
>
> Laurent

For sure.

.. or why some among us use an SQL DB in Unicode so the UID:PWD need not
have the slightest resemblance WHATSOEVER to an email address. Or even
same native language or encoding. Exim gets the associated email,
domain.tld, mailstore location, (and a great deal more), from the DB
where and when needed.

The SQL part isn't required, either.

Just more flexible than simpler stuff that Exim is equally happy to use
'most of the time'. SQL being usable from essentially anywhere in Exim
with identical syntax. Not always true of the many other options. And
/etc/aliases in Chinese? Actually haven't tried that....

Bill
--
韓家標