Re: [exim] trouble with a condition on a deny

Author: Lena
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] trouble with a condition on a deny
> From: "Chad Leigh Shire.Net LLC" <chad+exim@???>

> I am having an issue coming up with the correct syntax on a deny.
> I want to deny where the FROM: address is in the recipients list

Bad idea.

> However, I want to exclude mailing list postings

That is not as easy as it sounds. Different mailing list software
leaves different marks in the header, some leave none apparent.

Besides, mailing lists are only one of cases where
recipient address in From is legitimate.

> The reason is that
> we still see lots of spam being sent where they put in the
> recipients email address as the FROM: address to try and "sneak" it
> past filters

Does recipient address in From help to sneak it past filters? How?
I bet that it in fact doesn't help.
It's just noticeable and irritating, so you want to do something.
Recipient address in From is not a suitable criterion for spam filtering.
I don't get much spam with my address in From. I use other criteria.
I use selective greylisting (legitimate mail seldom is delayed),
few external and local black and white lists
and various checks I wrote. Everything in Exim config. See
http://wiki.exim.org/DbLessGreyListingRun
and http://lena.kiev.ua/Lena-eximconf-run.txt