Re: [exim] Bug or Design? Transport name cannot begin with n…

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Odhiambo Washington
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Bug or Design? Transport name cannot begin with number
On 14 Mar 2012, at 15:01, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

>> which states:
>>
>> Driver instance names, which are used for reference in log
>> entries and elsewhere, can be any sequence of letters, digits,
>> and underscores (starting with a letter) and must be unique among
>> drivers of the same type. A router and a transport (for example) can
>> each have the same name, but no two router instances can have the
>> same name.
>>

> Hi Dennis,
>
> Excuse my level of understanding, but I still do not see anything in that
> text that forbids the scenario I presented.
> Could you please underline or bolden it?

It's the phrase "starting with a letter" that you're looking for.

It might be better if this wording were a bit clearer. For example:

"Driver instance names are used for reference in log entries and elsewhere. A name can be any sequence of letters, digits, and underscores, provided that it starts with a letter. Names must be unique among drivers of the same type. A router and a transport (for example) can each have the same name, but no two router instances can have the same name."

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex