Re: [exim] Bug or Design? Transport name cannot begin with n…

Author: Dennis Davis
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Bug or Design? Transport name cannot begin with number
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> From: Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@???>
> To: exim users <exim-users@???>
> Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 12:59:30
> Subject: [exim] Bug or Design? Transport name cannot begin with number
>
> I am running Exim 4.77 on FreeBSD 8.x
>
> I decided to create a special purpose transport, viz:
>
> 587_remote_smtp:
> driver = smtp
> port = 587
>
> It appears that Exim doesn't like it:
>
> gw# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/exim restart
> Stopping exim.
> Starting exim.
> 2012-03-14 15:45:49 Exim configuration error in line 1385 of
> /usr/local/etc/exim/configure:
> option setting expected: 587_remote_smtp:
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/exim: WARNING: failed to start exim
>
> This behaviour is reproduceable as long as you start a transport
> name with a digit.
>
> However, if I a transport name begins with an alphabet character
> instead of a numeral, then Exim is okay with it.
>
> Is this by design?? I couldn't find anything in spec.txt that
> clarifies this behaviour.

See:

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch06.html#SECTfordricon

which states:

  Driver instance names, which are used for reference in log
  entries and elsewhere, can be any sequence of letters, digits,
  and underscores (starting with a letter) and must be unique among
  drivers of the same type. A router and a transport (for example) can
  each have the same name, but no two router instances can have the
  same name.
--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
D.H.Davis@???               Phone: +44 1225 386101