Re: [exim] connection_max_messages vs. batch_max

Author: Jeffrey Starin
Subject: Re: [exim] connection_max_messages vs. batch_max
On 3/6/2012 8:57 AM, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> [Please do not take mailing list threads private - it means when someone
> with the same question follows the thread it just stops partway. Also I
> answer mailing list stuff (including that copying me directly) pretty
> much on a whim, so only sending to me rather than the list risks the
> thread stopping because I don't feel like answering this one...
> Exim-users list copied back in...]
>
> Jeffrey Starin wrote:
>
>> I know it's the correct file because when I attempt to change or input
>> the value and then restart, I receive errors. My ISP is telling me that
>> these values are "private" -- I've never heard of such a setup.
> I suspect they are making things up there.
>
>> Anyway, my ultimate goal is to have all my messages destined, for say,
>> Yahoo, go in one connection rather than several connections, and I wish
>> to control that value. Is it the connection_max_messages I need to set
>> or the batch_max I need to set?
> Many distinct messages, then you want to set connection_max_messages to
> something higher. However because exim does not run as a centrally
> controlled setup, you may still find that messages are independently
> routed and sent down different SMTP sessions even to the same
> destination. The way to mostly avoid this is to use queue_smtp_domains
> to select the domains you wish to to have queued and then batch
> delivered when a queue run happens. This does, of course, affect
> latency of the system.
>
> The batch_max and connection_max_messages are transport options, so are
> added to a transport, giving you something like this
>
>     remote_smtp:
>       driver = smtp
>       connection_max_messages = 30

> Remember the other end in an SMTP transaction is quite at liberty to
> decide it wants no more than n messages in a single connection, or have
> other limits on the numbers of recipients.
>

>     Nigel.

Ah ha! I see. Thank you for the update on that. Actually it's not
many distinct messages it's email campaigning so it's a single message
to many recipients. I don't know what yahoo expects and I've registered
with all the Feedback Loops, etc., they haven't been delaying my email
yet. But occasionally I do receive 421 messages. I just wish I could
reduce bandwidth by sending X number of messages in one connection. I'm
on a VPS and do not want to hog all the resources.

Thank you.