Re: [exim] connection_max_messages vs. batch_max

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: jeffrey.starin
CC: Exim-Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [exim] connection_max_messages vs. batch_max

Jeffrey Starin wrote:
> Ah ha! I see. Thank you for the update on that. Actually it's not
> many distinct messages it's email campaigning so it's a single message
> to many recipients.

Are you sure... I mean seriously, it is a fairly routine way of doing
things that each recipient of a mailshot gets a *different* message -
with things like the envelope sender address changed (for bounce
tracking), and internal components often changed (ie unique links per
recipient to allow click/response tracking). Even if the campaign
sender does not want individual click tracking they may still want an
individual "Click here to unsubscribe" link which also needs to be
unique per recipient, so making each message unique.

If the messages really are identical for each recipient then you should
be able to handle them as a single message with multiple recipients, but
that needs to be done by whatever is injecting the messages into your
system (ie you cannot collate them later - you need to receive them as a
single message with a pile of recipients).

> I don't know what yahoo expects and I've registered
> with all the Feedback Loops, etc., they haven't been delaying my email
> yet. But occasionally I do receive 421 messages. I just wish I could
> reduce bandwidth by sending X number of messages in one connection. I'm
> on a VPS and do not want to hog all the resources.

Pushing n messages in one connection has almost no effect on total
bandwidth consumption (ie total bytes moved), although since it
restricts the numbers of connections it will reduce the peak
requirements considerably.

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham ------------------------------ nigel@??? ]
[                 Ellipsis Intangible Technologies                  ]