Re: [exim] SMTP command timeout on connection - how to troub…

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP command timeout on connection - how to troubleshoot
Hi,

Scott Neader <scott@???> (Di 21 Feb 2012 08:05:48 CET):
> I opened a ticket with EdgeWave, to see if they were aware of any
> particular problems talking to Exim. Their response was this:
>
> Per RFC 2821, If your mail server is issuing a 250 response at the end of
> > the smtp session then that means that the message was successfully
> > delivered. (as far as the sender is concerned).
> >
> > I am not aware of any general issues with sending mail to exim mail
> > servers.
>

> I do agree they have a point... when Exim sends the 250 OK... shouldn't
> Exim then deposit the message into the local mailbox or whatever needs to
> happen at this point? Doesn't it seem wrong for Exim to send a 250 OK, but
> not have actually accepted the message?

If I get it well, it happens about the following:

    Remote Server           Your Server

            [ TCP SYN/SYN-ACK/ACK ]
                            220 …
                …
                …
        DATA      -->
                  <--       354 Enter Message…
                … -->
        .         -->
                  <--       250 OK id=1Rzl72-00089K-6J

             [several minutes]
                  <--       421 … SMTP command timeout

             [ TCP FIN/FIN-ACK/ACK ]

I just tried this with one of our servers, using netcat as client
and just didn't send the QUIT. It did exactly what I expected,
Exim delivers the mail as soon as the 250 OK was sent. Then, minutes
later there is a notice in the mainlog about the command timeout.

From my POV your problem is not related to this unhappy end of the
connection. (But I'd say it's unpolite behaviour of (by?) the other side…)

--
Heiko :: dresden : linux : SCHLITTERMANN.de
GPG Key 48D0359B : 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2 7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B