Re: [exim] ACL, transport, & SpamAssassin

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] ACL, transport, & SpamAssassin
Heiko Schlittermann <hs@???> (Di 07 Feb 2012 18:10:24 CET):
(…)
> When called as transport filter, the complete message has to *pass*
> SpamAssassin, Exim needs to write it to SA and has to read it back from
> SA.
>
> But, since SA performes poorly on large messages, you should configure
> Exim to bypass the SA checks if the message is too large. (I do not
> remember if such a bypass can be enabled inside of SA too.)
>
> Conclusion: I'd say, using in the ACL is faster.

And I forgot to mention: doing the spam scan in the ACL makes it happen
at SMTP time. This way you have the chance, to reject the message at
SMTP time already, leaving the responsibility for the message at the
senders side.

If you scan it at transport time, there is no chance to reject it,
everything you can do, is tagging it.

It depends on your sites policy, if you're allowed to reject messages,
just because your SpamAssassin rated them with a high spam level.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome --------------- key ID: 48D0359B -
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -