Re: [exim] ACL, transport, & SpamAssassin

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] ACL, transport, & SpamAssassin
Hello Antonio,

Antonio Leding <dev@???> (Di 07 Feb 2012 17:48:29 CET):
> Hi Heiko,
> Thanks very much for this information - so two more questions for you and the community:
> 1) It seems that ACL is faster when compared to TRANSP?ORT - is this true?

In the ACL SpamAssassin is called once per message, as transport filter
it is called once per transport (recipient).

Called in the ACL Exim just sends the complete message "down" to
Spamassassin and needs to read back just the result of the evaluation
(typically just one or two lines).

When called as transport filter, the complete message has to *pass*
SpamAssassin, Exim needs to write it to SA and has to read it back from
SA.

But, since SA performes poorly on large messages, you should configure
Exim to bypass the SA checks if the message is too large. (I do not
remember if such a bypass can be enabled inside of SA too.)

Conclusion: I'd say, using in the ACL is faster.

> 2) Is Exim planning on removing the ability to perform the TRANSPORT type of operation?

I'm not a or the developer of Exim. But I'd say transport filter are an
essential feature. Exim w/o transport filters would not be Exim anymore :)

--
Heiko :: dresden : linux : SCHLITTERMANN.de
GPG Key 48D0359B : 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2 7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B