Re: [exim] How to configure exim to accept messages for rela…

Author: Odhiambo Washington
To: Alan McConnell
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How to configure exim to accept messages for relay?
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 17:41, Alan McConnell <alan@???> wrote:

> Assembled Wisdom!
>
> This request for information is on behalf of a system, gltap.com, using
> exim. I am working with the gltap.com admins to enable gltap.com to
> serve as a "smart host"(relay host) for my home machine, which runs Debian
> squeeze. For historical reasons, my home machine uses p*stf*x as its MTA.
> My apologies!!<g>
>
> The admins at gltap.com have already given me a shell account,
> alan@???, and I can send and receive mail from this account, when
> logged on to it.
>
> At present my "smart host" is PatriotNet, in VA, as can be seen from my
> return address. I wish to switch so that I can become alan@???
>
> This means that the exim at gltap.com must be configured to accept E-mail
> from my home machine. I have done some reading in the very fine exim
> documentation, and I believe that the exim.conf file must be changed at
> at least the entry 'host_accept_relay' .
>
> NB: my p*stf*x installation uses sasl for authentication for my
> transferring to the patriot.net system. Will this work with
> exim?
>
> I am writing to ask for substantiation of this belief, and to ask also:
> will a change of /etc/exim.conf at gltap.com interfere with
> Cpanel, which is used by the admins at gltap.com, and about which I know
> NOTHING.
>
> I apologize if this query is already answered in the documentation. In my
> defense I can say that at this level of E-mail arcana the vocabulary used
> by e.g. sendmail, exim, and p*stf*x can differ substantially.
>
> TIA for anticipated help, and best wishes,
>
> Alan McConnell

Hi Allan,

There are TWO ways they can help you out.

1. If you have a known static IP at the location you operate from, then all
they have to do is to add that IP to the entry that goes
    something like:
    hostlist relay_from_hosts = what-is-already-there : YOUR_IP

2. If (1) is not the case, then they need to configure their authenticators
in Exim (this is in the exim.conf somewhere) to be able
    to authenticate users against the passwd file, or use one of the
several available authentication methods that Exim can use.

In the second option, you will have to configure Postfix to use ASMTP
(Authenticated SMTP) against the server at gltap.com

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,