Re: [exim] Ratelimit

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Ratelimit
Hi Ian

On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 09:34 +0000, Ian Porter wrote:
> Thanks, yeah the directory is being created by the exim process but
> the ratelimit db within that directory is not. I am guessing it could
> be a switch or option on the exim process to start the ratelimit db ?
> or I am missing something from the install.

There are two things of significance here:

1. You're using a Debian-derived system, which has a configuration
system which many of the denizens of this list are unfamiliar. There is
a specific list detailed in the docs on Debian-derived systems for
support of Exim on those distros.

2. The reason the ratelimit DB file isn't being created is because the
ratelimit stanza in the ACL you've defined isn't being used - for which,
see (1).

In a nutshell - in order to apply ACL ratelimits, you have to define a
lookup/query/update at an appropriate place in the ACL flow (which
mirrors the SMTP transaction). If you drop a file in which is included
in the config *after* an explicit or implicit "accept" in that ACL, the
ratelimit will never happen.

I hope that helps,

Graeme