Re: [exim] trusted_users option has stopped working for me

Author: mark david mcCreary
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] trusted_users option has stopped working for me
On 11/3/11 9:31 PM, W B Hacker wrote:
> mark@??? wrote:
>> I'm up to Exim 4.71 with Ubuntu Lucid.
>>
>> I've got some procmail jobs that send out email using Exim, as a named
>> system user.
>>
>>     :0
>>     |/usr/sbin/exim4 -f liaison@??? $SUBSCRIBER

>> In this example, the user is liaison
>>
>> liaison:x:1007:1007:liaison,,,:/home/liaison:/bin/bash
>>
>> The body of the email being sent out contains headers like this
>>
>>> From Debian-exim Thu Nov 3 02:27:45 2011
>> Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 22:27:26 EDT
>> From: liaison@???
>> To: xxxxx@???
>>

>> That did not use to happen.
>
> ? WHAT 'did not use to happen' ... or what was it that happened BEFORE?

Bill

Thanks for asking.

Before, in the good old days, the original headers were not placed into
the body of the message, preceeding the real message.

Now, I have this extra set of headers, in the body of the email, as Exim
is trying to it's show it's suspicious.

>> The Exim Configuration file contains
>>
>> trusted_users = "Debian-exim:liaison:listmast"
>>
>> Is this a new security feature introduced recently ?
>
> 'trusted_users' is VERY old.

I'm very old too, but I'm still working :-)

Let me go dig around and see what looks new in this area.

But what would you suggest to get rid of those extra headers in the
emails my on system users are generating.

> 4.71 is stale, but not as old.

I'm working on rolling out Ubuntu Oneiric as we speak.

> There HAVE been several rolling security improvements.
> Some MAY affect who can utilize the binary or re-load a config.

Ok, I can compile Exim if I have to.

> Or not.
>
>> Something that I
>> have to enable when compiling Exim ?
>>
>> Got any troubleshooting tips for me ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> mark
>>

> Not YET.... not sure what is being asked..

I want to eliminate the extra set of headers in the body of messages
being sent by "trusted" users on my server.

What do you suggest ?

Thanks

mark