Re: [exim] Synchronising Authentication Between Servers

Author: Todd Lyons
To: Colin
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Synchronising Authentication Between Servers
On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 2:37 AM, Colin <exim@???> wrote:
> It turns out that I might have spoken too soon.
> After a few hours monitoring it would appear that a number of accounts will
> not authenticate but there is no apparent reason.
>
> Example 1: Using the same configuration and the same passwd file on two
> servers. My Thunderbird client will not authenticate to server 1 but will
> authenticate to server2 using the exact same details

Make sure the file is readable by exim on both machines.

Temporarily turn off the TLS requirement (comment out that line).
Configure the client not to use TLS. tcpdump the session and see if
it's sending the password you think it should.

> Example 2: Numerous servers use server 1 as a smarthost. One reseller has
> all their servers using a similar format of generic@??? and
> the password is the same for all the smarthost accounts. Most work but one
> or two do no. These all have exactly the same hash in the passwd file so
> there is no reason why some would work and others not.
> It does log something:
> 2011-10-10 07:55:57 login_server authenticator failed for localhost
> (my.server.name) [1.1.1.1]: 535 Incorrect authentication data
> (set_id="generic@???")

The tcpdump will let you know what it sending across the wire if you
can get it to not encrypt it.

Good luck!

Regards...         Todd
--
If Americans could eliminate sugary beverages, potatoes, white bread,
pasta, white rice and sugary snacks, we would wipe out almost all the