Re: [exim] acl_check_mail problem

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Dermot
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] acl_check_mail problem
On 2011-10-04 at 11:11 +0100, Dermot wrote:
> We are currently suffering from a network outage on our leased line
> and have attempted to fail-over to our secondary exim4 MX that sits on
> a ADSL line but have hit a problem.
>
> The secondary server used to make callbacks to the primary for rcpt
> authentication but something is stopping it from working. The primary
> can be resolved from the secondary.

Presumably the network outage of your primary is keeping the secondary
from reaching it for the callbacks.

> The logs are full of the messages like these:
>
> unknown ACL verb "acl_check_mail" in "acl_check_mail"

Sounds like someone's doubled a line somewhere, or otherwise pasted
random junk into your Exim configuration. Search your exim.conf for
that string, "acl_check_mail", it should occur exactly twice:
1. As the value of the acl_smtp_mail hook in the main config section
2. Followed by a colon, in the "begin acl" section, defining an ACL

The third occurrence is probably where the problem lies (unless the
second was the randomly pasted in junk).

-Phil