[exim] queue runner question

Author: Derek Knapp
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] queue runner question
Is there any kind of option for the minimum number of queue runners?

I have a shell script that adds emails to the queue (using
/usr/sbin/exim -bS -odq) but every time I check the server there are
thousands of emails in the queue waiting to be sent.

I have seen many posts online about using queue_only option, but non
really say how they handle starting up the queue runners.. if I change
my shell script to remove the -odg, the emails are sent out much faster
than 1st queuing them, but I figured adding them to the exim queue 1st
would allow exim to send them in batches (for example if there are 100
emails going to hotmail, it could send them all at once)

Is there a proper way to handle the starting of queue runners? should I
just create an init script that runs exim -q1m 100 times every time the
server starts?