Re: [exim] Wildcard aliases

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Wildcard aliases
Yan Seiner wrote:
> Roger Burton West wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 11:56:12AM -0700, Yan Seiner wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a simple way to do this?
>>
>> A router with local-part-prefix set?

> How do I go about setting something like that up? exim works for me so
> well that I never have an opportunity to learn it....
> Any examples for idiots?

Not 'for', but maybe 'from'.

Some 'idiots' do this sort of thing in another way (don't ask me how I
know!)

They use an acl_m variable.

... Which is set in an acl with a warn verb before routers are even
reached, using Exim partial string match capabilities and/or lookup
match types.

See 'regex = '

- can work at beginning, end, middle, whatever...

See also the differences between/among lsearch, wildlsearch,
nwildlsearch. Expecially the last...

These can be used with externally maintained flat files instead of
hard-coding into the configure file.

Thereafter, changes do not (necessarily) need full 'root' privs to alter
the configuration file, and do not require a 'restart' of the
master/listener daemon.

That way, you could manage not only 'rt-' but many more strings, and of
arbitrary format - eg not necessarily formally identifiable 'prefix'

The router(s) then test for a flag or specific value in the acl_m loaded
by the 'warn' acl clause. They no longer need the logic to set it - just
react to it.

Further - one can make branching decisions BEFORE reaching the
routers... eg: 'in session'.

HTH,

Bill

: