[exim] pipes: what am I missing?

Author: Yan Seiner
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] pipes: what am I missing?
I am trying to set up a pipe to a shell script.

rt_router:
driver = accept
local_part_prefix_optional
local_part_prefix = rt-
transport = rt_transport

rt_transport:
driver = pipe
command = /usr/local/bin/rtcat

The goal is to have exim dump the email to a shell script if it's
prefaced with a 'rt-'.

The router and transport above work - as long as I don't use redirection
in the above scrips. As soon as I use redirection, the transport fails.

So for rtcat:

#!/bin/sh

echo 1234567 > /tmp/abc

results in

2011-09-09 20:47:34 1R2EXW-00017z-RW ** 1234@???
<rt-1234@???> R=rt_router T=rt_transport: Child process of
rt_transport transport returned 1 from command: /bin/sh

but for rtcat:

#!/bin/sh

echo 1234567

works (there's no error logged) but obviously there's no output.

What am I doing wrong? I want to process the mail through a shell
script.....

--
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.
    Albert Einstein