Re: [exim] Cannot send mail to gmail.com after reconfigure E…

Author: Todd Lyons
To: Face
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Cannot send mail to gmail.com after reconfigure Exim 4.76?
n Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Face <falazemi@???> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I had someone  send spam using my SMTP, therefore i had to change my
> configure to stop this. Now I cannot send to gmail.com and i keep
> getting this
>
>  falazemi@???
>    SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
>    host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [74.125.91.27]:
>    550-5.7.1 [173.214.173.77       1] Our system has detected an
> unusual rate of
>    550-5.7.1 unsolicited mail originating from your IP address. To protect our
>    550-5.7.1 users from spam, mail sent from your IP address has been blocked.

It very clearly states: "You did something bad in the past, so we
blocked you." Well, they are still blocking you because you haven't
done anything to them that indicates you fixed it.

>    550-5.7.1 Please visit
> http://www.google.com/mail/help/bulk_mail.html to review
>    550 5.7.1 our Bulk Email Senders Guidelines. s9si64275qcy.51

Did you go to that URL and read all of it? One part that is unstated
is whether you are permanently blocked or whether it's just your
reputation that suffered. If you are permanently blocked, you need to
submit a block removal request, you'll have to find where in the maze
of Gmail support it is. If you are being blocked on your reputation,
over time, probably about a week, they'll start accepting email from
your server again. However, if any of those spams that made it
through your machine start flowing again, you'll very quickly sour
your reputation again and you'll get blocked. Basically, your choice
to me appears to be to make sure that nobody can relay spam through
your system and wait for your reputation with google to go from bad to
good (which can only happen by NOT sending spam and NOT sending a lot
of email at once).

...Todd

--
If Americans could eliminate sugary beverages, potatoes, white bread,
pasta, white rice and sugary snacks, we would wipe out almost all the