Re: [exim] giving some sender hosts a higher priority?

Author: Dominic Benson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] giving some sender hosts a higher priority?
On 03/08/11 11:26, Oliver Howe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to give some hosts a higher priority when relaying messages?
>
> As I am relaying for several different hosts (companies) and some of them
> have different expectations than others.
> ie some have time sensitive emails and some arent so bothered about their
> messages being delivered immediately.
>
> The best way would be to put them on different servers, but that is not
> economical at the moment.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Oliver

If I've understood you correctly, and you're acting as a smarthost to
relay outbound mail for these companies:

If you know the source addresses in advance of at least one of the
high/low priority groups, then you could use smtp_accept_queue with a
conditional on the received_ip_address:

e.g.:

smtp_accept_queue = ${if eq{$received_ip_address}{10.0.0.1}{0}{5}}

to allow 10.0.0.1 to relay limited only by smtp_accept_max, but to queue
mail from anywhere else if are more than 5 connections.

If you also relay inbound mail, then queue_domains could be used to
defer delivery for non-priority domains; they would then be subject to
the queue runner load settings, while 'premium' domains would be
delivered straight away if possible.

See http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch14.html
for the details of these options.

Dominic