Re: [exim] Gmail's new 'suspicious sender' flag

Author: WJCarpenter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Gmail's new 'suspicious sender' flag
On 7/10/2011 8:52 AM, Always Learning wrote:
> Changing the IP address of that mail server should, and I believe will,
> reduce the junk mail.

Every little bit counts, of course, but my data suggests that this only
helps a little bit. I do get a few spammer knocks on servers with IP
addresses that used to host this or that domain, but it's a tiny number
compared to my main traffic. OTOH, I also host a couple of near-dead
domains from small companies that went defunct over 10 years ago. The
hosting servers have changed (equipment, IP addresses, data centers,
....) at least a half dozen times. Every day, I see lots of attempts in
my logs for real addresses of long-gone employees.

(I pay no attention to either of these cases except for occasionally
looking at the logs out of curiosity. They're both relatively small
compared to various other brute-force spam attempts and spam attempts
for active addresses.)