Re: [exim] Gmail's new 'suspicious sender' flag

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Gmail's new 'suspicious sender' flag
On 06/07/2011 09:09, Jan Ingvoldstad wrote:

>> > On a general basis, I recommend against using SPF, but if one "must" use
>> > SPF, remember to NOT set it restrictively.
>> >
>> > That is: never, ever use "-all" or similar constructs that restrict
>> message
>> > handling to a few hosts, unless you are absolutely certain that messages
>> > will NEVER exit your private/company network.
>> >
>> > Pain ensues if it does.
>>
>> That's generally the idea of SPF though
>
> To ensure pain? It certainly seems so.

SPF causes mail delivery problems in some scenarios. I don't think
anyone would deny that. From my experience, in practice, your email is
more likely to be rejected because of a false positive on a spam
filtering system than it is to be rejected because of one of these SPF
issues. I don't ever see anyone arguing against the use of spam
filtering though.

--
Mike Cardwell https://grepular.com/ https://twitter.com/mickeyc
Professional http://cardwellit.com/ http://linkedin.com/in/mikecardwell