Re: [exim] Gmail's new 'suspicious sender' flag

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Sebastian Tennant
CC: <exim-users@exim.org>
Subject: Re: [exim] Gmail's new 'suspicious sender' flag

On 5 Jul 2011, at 07:11, Sebastian Tennant wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I use a machine (let's say it's called example.org) to compose and send email
> with the From header set to my Gmail address (let's say foo@???).
>
> I login to example.org as 'foo' so the envelope sender address is
> foo@??? but example.org is not gmail.com and this mismatch between the
> From address and the envelope sender address causes Gmail to flag my message as
> suspicious (possibly not originating from the person the message claims to
> originate from).
>
> According to Gmail's documentation, in order to convince it that my message is
> not suspicious I must publish an SPF record, but IIUC this is not possible in
> the above scenario as there's no way I can publish an SPF record for gmail.com
> stating that example.org is an authorised sender.

Can you link to the documentation?

My guess is that Google are allowing senders with SPF passes some slack on other checks. So, you'd just want to publish a record for example.org.

On the other hand, the documentation may be for users of hosted domains. They may using something like Microsoft's purported sender.