Re: [exim] Can I make messages destinated to local user/doma…

Autor: Benoît Taine
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Can I make messages destinated to local user/domain go through smarthost
Le 24/05/2011 10:38, Dominic Benson a écrit :
> On 23/05/11 14:12, Benoît Taine wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm using exim4 on a dedicated server (by Online.net). I use the
>> smarthost configuration to make all mails be sent by the SMTP server
>> of my DNS/email provider (Gandi). It works only for adresses != of the
>> servers domain.
>>
>> 'echo "foo" | mail bar@???' works
>> 'echo "foo" | mail ork@???' doesn't
>>
>> Can you please give me a hint?
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
> First, can I just check that mail to you should be delivered to a
> mailbox hosted by Gandi, not to a mailbox on the exim server?

That's right, there are no mailboxes on the server, and every
email-related stuff is hosted by Gandi.

> If you're using Debian's configuration, then selecting "mail sent by
> smarthost; no local mail" at the first stage of dpkg-reconfigure
> exim4-config should have the desired effect. Under that configuration,
> no domains are considered local, and everything is forwarded to the
> smarthost.

I'm basically using this "Out of the Box" Debian configuration, and I
edited the passwd.client for authentication to Gandi's server.

> The next-easiest option, non-os-specific, is to remove the "domains = !
> +local_domains" condition in the smarthost router (and make sure it is
> above any local delivery router)

I removed this line in the 'smarthost:' section of
/etc/exim4/conf.d/router/200_exim4-config_primary, but nothing changed.
It seems that mails targeted for @mydomain.net are still considered as
for local users.

> Alternatively, specify a different local domain for the server - its
> FQDN is a fair choice - so that your main domain is not then considered
> local. This is only really a good idea if you do want to be able to have
> some local mailboxes; and then make sure that the default qualifier
> domain (for addresses with local part only) is your main domain.
> Otherwise you may find cron reports etc. get lost in a mail spool on the
> server that you never check!

Yup, I don't want to have local mailboxes and I'm scared to get a
growing ghost mail spool!

Thank you for your answer.
Regards.

--