Re: [exim] Can I make messages destinated to local user/doma…

Autor: Dominic Benson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Can I make messages destinated to local user/domain go through smarthost
On 23/05/11 14:12, Benoît Taine wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using exim4 on a dedicated server (by Online.net). I use the
> smarthost configuration to make all mails be sent by the SMTP server
> of my DNS/email provider (Gandi). It works only for adresses != of the
> servers domain.
>
> 'echo "foo" | mail bar@???' works
> 'echo "foo" | mail ork@???' doesn't
>
> Can you please give me a hint?
> Thank you.
>
> Regards.

First, can I just check that mail to you should be delivered to a
mailbox hosted by Gandi, not to a mailbox on the exim server?

If you're using Debian's configuration, then selecting "mail sent by
smarthost; no local mail" at the first stage of dpkg-reconfigure
exim4-config should have the desired effect. Under that configuration,
no domains are considered local, and everything is forwarded to the
smarthost.

The next-easiest option, non-os-specific, is to remove the "domains = !
+local_domains" condition in the smarthost router (and make sure it is
above any local delivery router)

Alternatively, specify a different local domain for the server - its
FQDN is a fair choice - so that your main domain is not then considered
local. This is only really a good idea if you do want to be able to have
some local mailboxes; and then make sure that the default qualifier
domain (for addresses with local part only) is your main domain.
Otherwise you may find cron reports etc. get lost in a mail spool on the
server that you never check!