[exim] 8BITMIME (was: Exim 5.x)

Autor: Wolfgang Breyha
A: exim-users
Assumptes vells: Re: [exim] Exim 5.x
Assumpte: [exim] 8BITMIME (was: Exim 5.x)
On 2011-05-20 16:38, Ian Eiloart wrote:
> On 2011-05-20 12:48, W B Hacker wrote:
>> C) Most current MUA even if 'fed' 8 bit-anything seem to be predisposed to ass u me the worst, and wrap it as quoted-printable.
>> In the MUA, not the MTA.
>
> They'll certainly do that when an MTA fails to advertise 8bitmime.

Not as certainly as expected. Eg. Thunderbird 3 has not a single line of
code neither to recognize 8BITMIME nor for sending BODY= in MAIL FROM.

I just checked it in
mailnews/compose/src/nsSmtpProtocol.cpp
for 3.1.10.

But since
mail.strictly_mime
defaults to false it sends using transfer encoding 8bit regardless what the
MTA supports.

So one of the major MUAs out there cares even less as qmail about 8BITMIME;-)

Greetings, Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Breyha <wbreyha@???> | http://www.blafasel.at/
Vienna University Computer Center | Austria