Re: [exim] 8BITMIME

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] 8BITMIME
Lena@??? wrote:
>> From: W B Hacker
>
>> Did you option 8BITMIME on?
>
> Yes. It was the first change I asked to make on the shared cPanel server
> my account was on (when I didn't run my own Exim instance yet).
> Since then, cPanel included accept_8bitmime=true in their default Exim config.
>
>> Has it been painless?
>
> Yes, moreover beneficial: my old MUA couldn't decode;
> even now I use the `less` Unix command for search,
> it doesn't find in encoded message bodies.

Great news - thanks!

On better servers now, I'll be delving deeper into encodings and IDN
issues this coming year

Keeps me out of the pubs anyway..

> BTW, does someone know of a Unix program which can batch-decode
> (non-multipart) message bodies of all messages in a mailbox file?

Can't be the first time ever needed so ....

Go Ogle trick:

Over-ride their brain-fatal Geo-IP crippler, (NOT just language!) and
force use of a perch in a more populous / bigger high tech country than
your own. When in Hong Kong, I force to Canada, Switzerland or other EU.

Even in the US, I sometimes need an EU or Swiss start-point for a given
subject.

Likewise, OK to search in a more appropriate language to the sought
info. Basque and the like. Easier to then translate what turns up than
never find it at all.

That doesn't just reduce the drivel - it finds stuff that won't even
show up AT ALL from a disadvantaged perch.

HTH,

Bill