Re: [exim] Exim 5.x

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim 5.x
W B Hacker wrote:
> Ian Eiloart wrote:
>>
> *snip*
>>
>> Well 8bitmime is implemented almost everywhere. The thing is, I can't
>> turn it on without installing a non-Exim smart host to downgrade
>> messages that I send to other Exim sites!
>
> Are you SURE about Exim not being able to handle it on the inbound if we
> were to switch to defaulting it ON?

"Blessed are they who go 'round in circles,
for they shall be known as 'wheels'"

Never mind. Seems 8BITMIME is largely *irrelevant*.

http://cr.yp.to/smtp/8bitmime.html

Sometimes even a blind hog (Ich not DJB) finds an acorn (DJB's pragmatic
note).

I've been trafficing happily in bothway UTF8 AND Chinese plus various
other non-ASCII encoding from Day ONE (4.4X), ditto QMail for many years
before that..

Even tested Chinese UID:PWD (PostgreSQL-resident)

Now and then an issue reading some weird or mixed non-UTF encoding in an
MUA.

Otherwise seamless.

No - that isn't 8BITMIME. Just 8-bit transparent.

Rest is up to the IMAP/POP and MUA.

But seems good enough that there doesn't seem to be a remaining NEED for
8BITMIME, either.

Trying to learn and grown anyway .. just optioned-on:

allow_utf8_domains

Nap time .....

Bill