Re: [exim] Exim 5.x

Autor: Ian Eiloart
A: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim 5.x

On 19 May 2011, at 13:35, W B Hacker wrote:

>> part allows integration with an IMAP server, a message is submitted
>> with a an IMAP url to allow forward without download, etc.
>
> ??
>
> IF the content is already located at a URI, all that is needed is the URI. We all get such - mostly as advertising.

No, the point is not to put a URI in a message, but to put it in the SMTP conversation. The URI refers to some content to be found on an IMAP server. The SMTP server fetches that content, and appends it to the message. The point is to avoid having your mobile device upload a large attachment that's already available on the server.

> Looking just at the ages of RFC's from six to seventeen years old - it seems what was found useful enough to gain traction, did so ... and has been actioned.
>
> The rest?
>
> Seems the world has been in no hurry to drink that kool-aide, er scratch that

Well 8bitmime is implemented almost everywhere. The thing is, I can't turn it on without installing a non-Exim smart host to downgrade messages that I send to other Exim sites! I'd have to do this with all my outbound 8bit mail. I guess I could use $smtp_command in the MAIL ACL to work out which mail to send, and perhaps route that mail through our Exchange server. (sorry!)

Sites with significant numbers of mobile users ought to be considering whether their MSA servers support LEMONADE features that are supported by mobile clients.

The rest, we'd want to see how mobile providers are getting on. Here are some findings from Apple (not huge, but a serious player in the mobile market), MSN and AOL

Apple's ME.COM (Oracle Communications Messaging Exchange Server) provides this

250-8BITMIME *
250-PIPELINING
250-CHUNKING *
250-DSN *
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES *
250-EXPN
250-HELP
250-XADR
250-XSTA
250-XCIR
250-XGEN
250-XLOOP EBAC943BF078DE96864E96CFA8E61582
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
250-ETRN
250-NO-SOLICITING
250 SIZE 0

Now, I don't know whether Apple's clients implement any of that extra LEMONADE goodness, but they certainly don't when they connect to Exim servers.

Microsoft's live.com service advertises:
250-TURN
250-SIZE 41943040
250-ETRN
250-PIPELINING
250-DSN *
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES *
250-8bitmime *
250-BINARYMIME *
250-CHUNKING *
250-VRFY
250-TLS
250-STARTTLS
250 OK

AOL:
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 36700160
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH XAOL-UAS-MB PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=XAOL-UAS-MB PLAIN LOGIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES *
250-8BITMIME *
250 DSN *

Yahoo and GMail aren't so advanced. But, if there are clients out there that can benefit from these technologies, then Exim should support them.

Exchange 2010 SP1 supports:
250-SIZE 52428800
250-PIPELINING
250-DSN *
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES *
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH GSSAPI NTLM
250-8BITMIME *
250-BINARYMIME *
250 CHUNKING *

Bizarrely, Exchange 2010 supports lots of LEMONADE features, even though their IMAP implementation only supports a single extension.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex