Re: [exim] Exim 5.x

Autor: Ian Eiloart
A: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim 5.x

On 19 May 2011, at 11:24, W B Hacker wrote:

> Ian Eiloart wrote:
>> LEMONADE compliance
> ?
>
> I don't see that what has been published so far has any interaction with an MTA-only such as Exim at all. Integrated MTA+IMAP, perhaps....
>
> Otherwise, the LEMONADE features proposed appear to me to be all in the IMAP daemon's realm:
>
> - IMAP IDLE for low b/w & virtual 'push'?
>     Old stuff.

> - Forward w/o downloading body/attachments?
>     See Courier-IMAP's 'out tray', VERY old stuff.

> What have I missed?

The SMTP components listed at http://www.lemonadeformobiles.com/detail.html

These items are implemented already. But, their relationship to LEMONADE isn't in our docs:

SUBMIT
PIPELINING
SIZE
START-TLS
SMTPAUTH

These are sort of implemented:

8BITMIME - this is implemented, but off by default. 5.0 (or 4.8) could enable it by default, perhaps.

ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES - these aren't implemented by default, though they are configurable. Ideally, they'd be in the default configuration, and perhaps an ACL option would specify a status code. Version 5.0 might make an ACL invalid if it didn't specify an enhanced status code.

These aren't implemented at all, as far as I can see:
* BURL - this part allows integration with an IMAP server, a message is submitted with a an IMAP url to allow forward without download, etc.
* CHUNKING rfc3030 - allows large messages to be split into chunks.
* BINARYMIME rfc3030 - optimises bandwidth
* DSN - an SMTP extension defined in rfc3461 which allows the sender to specify conditions under which DSNs should be created.

Perhaps a starting point would be a wiki page - or a chapter in the documentation - explaining Exim's LEMONADE compliance.